FBS 03 Keeping in Step with the Spirit
Read a scripture and practice a worship song
- Example: Psalm 66:4 “Everything on earth will worship you; they will sing your praises . . . in glorious songs.” Let’s pause and praise God with a simple song.
Minister to one another’s needs in prayer, biblical counsel and encouragement.
- Ask each person to tell one highlight and explain one challenge they experienced this week.
- Ask, “What do you want Jesus to do for you this week?” Pray for each other’s needs.
Encourage loving accountability to obey Jesus
- Ask, “What happened as you trusted God with your goals and I will statements?”
Motivation and Encouragement
Cast vision for who they can become in Christ or what God can do through them.
Example: One day a woman went to visit her neighbor. As they were talking she shared the gospel with her neighbor and she placed her faith in Christ. But then the woman started crying. “My husband just died 2 weeks ago. Why didn’t you tell me this sooner?” You see, we never know when people’s last day will be. That’s why we must share the gospel when we have the chance.
When we place our faith in Jesus, God’s Spirit begins to live inside of us. He is called the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Truth and our Helper. His ministry in our lives is so important that we will take time to study our relationship with Him.
- Read 1 Corinthians 2:14-3:3 2-3 times as others listen.
- Everyone tells what caught their attention (or what they like best) and why.
- Why do you think this story is important?
- How can we live differently now that we know this story (passage)?
Tell and Correct
- Practice the story by having someone tell the story and ask the group to correct if necessary.
Though all Christians have the Spirit living in them, not all Christians are directed and empowered by the Spirit. When we trust in our own efforts or take control of our lives, the Bible calls us carnal and we don’t experience an abundant or fruitful life. Read Galatians 5:22-24. We can use 3 circles to help us remember the 3 types of people described in 1 Corinthians (draw the 3 circles).
For further enrichment: Read Transferable Concept #3: How You Can be Filled with the Holy Spirit and discuss with another group member.
Preparing for the Mission
- Teach the Spiritual Breathing principle
- Exhale – 1 John 1:9 confess our sins, agree to change our attitude or actions
- Inhale – surrender control of your life to Christ
- Have them pray to be controlled and empowered by the Holy Spirit
- Father, I need you. I acknowledge that I have been in control of my life; and that I have sinned against you. Thank you for forgiving my sins through Christ’s death on the cross. I invite you to take control of my life and fill me with your Holy Spirit. I pray this is the name of Jesus as an expression of my faith. Thank you for taking control of my life and filling me with your Holy Spirit.
- Practice drawing the 3 circles and teaching the Spiritual Breathing principle
Going on the Mission
- Identify 3 people who you can tell what you have learned about the Holy Spirit.
- Identify 2 people who you will talk with this week about the Gospel
- Write “I will by when” statements and tell them to your small group.
Praying for the Mission
- Commit the everyone’s goals to the Lord. Ask the Lord to help us be faithful and use us to start a movement of disciple-makers.