FBS 05 Growing through God’s Word
Read a scripture and practice a song to begin laying a foundation for worship and praise.
- Example: Read Rev 7:12 “Let’s honor and worship the Lord through a song.”
Minister to one another’s needs in prayer, biblical counsel and encouragement.
- Ask each person to tell one highlight and explain one challenge they experienced this week.
- Ask, “What do you want Jesus to do for you this week?” Pray for each other’s needs.
Encourage loving accountability to obey Jesus
- Ask, “What happened as you trusted God with your goals and I will statements?”
Motivation and Encouragement
Cast vision for who they can become in Christ or what God can do through them.
Example: God has given us every spiritual blessing through Jesus. He has adopted us into His family and calls us His children. “You were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in Him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit gaurenteeing our inheritance.” (Ephesians 1:13-14a) What an amazing gift! This is God’s promise for you.
After Jesus’ resurrection, He appeared to His disciples many times during a 40-day period. One of the times He appeared while they were meeting in a large room and He explained the importance of His Word.
- Read or watch Luke 24:36-49 2-3 times as everyone listens.
- Everyone tells what caught their attention (or what they like best) and why.
- Why do you think this story is important?
- How can we live differently now that we know this story (passage)?
Tell and Correct
- Practice the story by having someone tell the story and ask the group to correct if necessary.
Jesus wants us to understand God’s Word and what it teaches us about Him. Jesus’ life fulfilled the promises in God’s Word. He wants us to tell others about what we learn.
Read 2 Timothy 3:16-17, Romans 10:17 and Hebrews 4:12 to highlight truths about God’s Word.
Reading the Bible each day is an important part of getting to know Jesus.
Preparing for the Mission
- Make a commitment to read at least one chapter from the Word of God each day, beginning with the Gospel of John.
- Pray that the Holy Spirit will teach you through His Word, read the chapter, and then answer three questions:
- What is this passage about?
- How can I apply it?
- Who can I help using this passage?
- Meditate on what the Holy Spirit has taught about the meaning of this passage.
Going on the Mission
- Identify 5 people from your Network List with whom you will tell the story or share the gospel this week.
- Write “I will by when” statements and tell them to your small group.
Praying for the Mission
- Commit everyone’s goals to the Lord. Ask the Lord to help us be faithful and use us to start a movement of disciple-makers.