FBS 06 Talking with God
Read a scripture and practice a worship song
- Example: Read Psalm 100:2 “Worship the Lord with gladness. Come before Him, singing with joy.” Let’s learn a song we can use to worship the Lord.
Minister to one another’s needs in prayer, biblical counsel and encouragement.
- Ask each person to tell one highlight and explain one challenge they experienced this week.
- Ask, “What do you want Jesus to do for you this week?” Pray for each other’s needs.
Encourage loving accountability to obey Jesus
- Ask, “What happened as you trusted God with your goals and I will statements?”
Motivation and Encouragement
Cast vision for who they can become in Christ or what God can do through them.
Example: As Jesus went through all the towns and villages, he saw the needs of the people and had compassion on them. He said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field." God wants all people to know him and his love. He wants to use us and He will also raise up more workers from the harvest we will reap. Let’s keep asking God to send more workers to lead people to know Him.
Even though Jesus was busy in ministry, he spent a lot of time talking to the Father. As his followers watched him, they too wanted to learn how to talk to the Father. Today we will learn what he told them.
- Read or watch Luke 11:1-13 2-3 times as everyone listens.
- Everyone tells what caught their attention (or what they like best) and why.
- Why do you think this story is important?
- How can we live differently now that we know this story (passage)?
Tell and Correct
- Practice the story by having someone tell the story and ask the group to correct if necessary.
Prayer is simply talking to our heavenly Father. We can use these 4 points to summarize what Jesus taught:
- Praise Him and keep Him the center;
- Request what you need from Him;
- Acknowledge your sins;
- Yield your life to His will and to His Kingdom.
We can be confident that He hears us and that His heart is to give us good things.
For further enrichment: Read Transferable Concept #9: How to Pray and discuss with another group member.
Preparing for the Mission
- Practice praying using the 4 points of the summary.
- Practice sharing the gospel, about the Holy Spirit, Bible study, or any previous lesson
Going on the Mission
- Identify 5 people from your Network List with whom you will tell the story or share the gospel this week.
- Write “I will by when” statements and tell them to your small group.
Praying for the Mission
- Commit everyone’s goals to the Lord. Ask the Lord to help us be faithful and use us to start a movement of disciple-makers.