FBS 07 Abiding in Jesus
Read a scripture and practice a worship song.
- Example: Read Psalm 16:7-11 and teach a new song
Minister to one another’s needs in prayer, biblical counsel and encouragement.
- Ask each person to tell one highlight and explain one challenge they experienced this week.
- Ask, “What do you want Jesus to do for you this week?” Pray for each other’s needs.
Encourage loving accountability to obey Jesus
- Ask, “What happened as you trusted God with your goals and I will statements?”
Motivation and Encouragement
Cast vision for who they can become in Christ or what God can do through them.
Example: John 16 teaches us that the Holy Spirit is actively at work in the hearts of those around us. He is showing them their sin. He is creating a desire to be right with God. He is creating a longing to avoid the fear of death, which is eternal judgment. He is tearing down the objections of their minds and hearts. Our job is to fish for those people through witnessing, finding those whose hearts are ready. Let’s encourage each other by reminding each other that the Spirit is already working before we even go.
The night before Jesus was crucified, he had dinner with his 12 closest disciples. He told them He was going away but that He was going to send the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, to be with them forever. He teaches them that through the presence of the Holy Spirit living in them, He himself will be with them. This story uses the image of a vine and its branches to describe what our relationship with Jesus should be like.
- Read or watch John 15:1-11 2-3 times as others listen.
- Everyone tells what caught their attention (or what they like best) and why.
- Why do you think this story is important?
- How can we live differently now that we know this story (passage)?
Tell and Correct
- Practice the story by having someone tell the story and ask the group to correct if necessary.
Without Jesus, we cannot do anything. We can only have a fruitful life when we depend on and remain in Him. This happens as we submit in obedience to His ways, allowing his life to flow in and through us so that we can bear fruit for the glory of God. In other words, we need to let the Spirit of Christ, the Holy Spirit, direct and empower our lives by faith.
For further enrichment: Read Transferable Concept #4: How to Walk in the Spirit and discuss with another group member.
Preparing for the Mission
- Review the principles of Spiritual Breathing from lesson 3, “Keeping in Step with the Spirit”.
- Practice any skill or topic from previous lessons as needed
Going on the Mission
- Identify 5 people from your Network List with whom you will tell the story or share the gospel with this week.
- Write “I will by when” statements and share with your small group.
Praying for the Mission
- Commit everyone’s goals to the Lord. Ask the Lord to help us be faithful and use us to start a movement of disciple-makers.