FBS 12 Opening Doors
Read a scripture and practice a worship song.
- Example: Read Psalm 9:1-2 and sing songs.
Minister to one another’s needs in prayer, biblical counsel and encouragement.
- Ask each person to tell one highlight and explain one challenge they experienced this week.
- Ask, “What do you want Jesus to do for you this week?” Pray for each other’s needs.
Encourage loving accountability to obey Jesus
- Ask, “What happened as you trusted God with your goals and I will statements?”
Motivation and Encouragement
Cast vision for who they can become in Christ or what God can do through them.
Example: Since everyone is called to follow Jesus and fish for men, we should realize there are only two kinds of people in the world-- lost and saved. Lost people need to follow Jesus. Saved people need to learn to fish for the lost. When you see the world as two types of people, then your daily interactions get much simpler. If you meet a lost person, witness to them. If you meet a saved person, offer to train them. It can’t get much easier than that!
Peter was directed by the Spirit to go to a seaside town called Caesarea where a Roman military leader named Cornelius lived. He was a God-prepared Person of Peace. Peter obeyed and traveled to Caesarea to tell Cornelius about Jesus. Let’s see what happens.
- Read or watch Acts 10:24-48 2-3 times as others listen.
- Everyone tells what caught their attention (or what they like best) and why.
- Why do you think this story is important?
- How can we live differently now that we know this story (passage)?
Tell and Correct
- Practice the story by having someone tell the story and ask the group to correct if necessary.
Persons of Peace are people of relationship. We can share the gospel with individual people, but we need to also look for opportunities to follow open doors to share with the friends and family of Persons of Peace. Other examples of the gospel spreading through relationships are Lydia and her household (Acts 16:14-15), the Philippian jailer and his household (Acts 16:30-33) and Matthew the tax collector and his friends (Matthew 9:9-10).
Preparing for the Mission
Practice setting up a missional event in the home of a Person of Peace.
- Discuss how they will ask the Person of Peace to host the event.
- Discuss how to use short films and JESUS Film clips to have spiritual discussions using the standard 2 questions.
- Discuss how to offer an opportunity to pray.
- Discuss how to follow up with those who put their faith in Christ.
Going on the Mission
- Identify at least one Person of Peace that you could ask to host an event.
- Identify 5 people from your Network List with whom you will take the initiative to minister to this week.
- Write “I will by when” statements and share with your small group.
Praying for the Mission
Commit everyone’s goals to the Lord. Ask the Lord to help us be faithful and use us to start a movement of disciple-makers.