MC2 03FN PCS The Amazing Question and Care
In this session, you will learn about the importance of caring for people in your relationship networks by giving them an opportunity to answer Jesus’ question, “What do you want me to do for you?”. You will also learn how to take the additional step of meeting their practical needs in Jesus’ name. [Luke 18:35-43]
Looking Back (20-30 min)
NOTE: Place people in groups of 4-6 for the session. Give out participant notes.
Prayer and Care
- Appoint a small group leader to facilitate sharing.
- Have each group discuss what they are thankful for this week.
- Have each person share how they are doing and share 1-2 prayer requests with their group and then have them pray for one another.
NOTE: If someone needs extra help, set a time after the meeting to help meet those needs.
- Encourage loving accountability to obey Jesus.
- Have each group share what happened as they trusted God for their goals and their “I will by when” statements.
- After the groups are done, ask if anyone is willing to tell the entire group.
Cast vision for their identity in Christ or what God can do through them as they take steps of faith.
- For example:
God has provided the resource we need to walk with Him and the power we need to live a fruitful life. As we seek to be people who are keeping in step with the Spirit, not only will our lives change, but we will be used by God to change the lives of people around us. Let’s keep encouraging each other to walk in the Spirit.
Looking Up (45 min)
Activity #1 The Amazing Question
- Appoint a small group leader to facilitate the group discussion.
- Show The Amazing Question video. 
- Have the small groups discuss the participant’s answers to…
- What did you like best? Why?
- How did Jesus show care?
- Ask 1-2 group leaders to summarize what their group discussed.
- Emphasize that the Amazing Question is made up of 2 parts: praying for needs in Jesus’ name and doing what we can to care for them by meeting their needs.
- Ask each participant to reflect on the Amazing Question and then write down how they would answer Jesus. After a few minutes, have 1-2 people tell their answers to the entire group.
Activity #2 Demonstrate telling the Amazing Question
- Appoint new small group leaders to facilitate the group discussion.
Demonstrate how to use the Amazing Question [Luke 18:35-43] by sharing 2-3 examples from your experience of telling it to others. [NOTE: Make sure one of your examples demonstrates using the Amazing Question film clip on your phone.]
- After your demonstration emphasize that each example contained the following parts:
- 1) a transition
- 2) telling the story and asking the Amazing Question
- 3) praying with them for the request
- 4) asking them to think of 2-3 others that could benefit from hearing the same story
- 5) what you did to show care to help meet the expressed need.
- Have the small groups discuss: What did you like best? Why?
- Ask 1- 2 group leaders to summarize what their small group discussed.
- Review the 2 parts of the Amazing Question: praying and caring for people.
- Highlight the importance of following up with people you prayed with to see what God has done.
Activity #3: Relational Network
God has brought many people into our lives, many who don’t know the Lord. We believe that God is at work on the hearts of those around us. The Amazing Question and showing care is great way to find out where God is at work.
Hand out the Network List. Ask everyone to write down on their Network List the names of 10 or more people who, in their opinion, are far from God (non-churched/non-Christian). These people are friends, neighbors, workmates, relatives, clerks in stores, etc. If you don’t know their name, write a description of them like “the lady who I buy vegetables from”.
Asking people the Amazing Question and caring for people’s needs brings Jesus close to the person and into the center of your relationship with them. Now you have a chance to practice with one another.
Looking Forward (45 min)
Preparing for the Mission
- Help participants download the JESUS Film app and the film clip on their phones.
- With their one-another partner, have the participants practice telling the Amazing Question.
Remind them to include: 1) a transition, 2) sharing the story and asking the Amazing Question, 3) praying with them about the request 4) asking them if they can think of 2-3 others who could benefit from hearing the same story, and 5) what you did to show care and help meet the expressed need.
- Have the partners switch after a few minutes so that both get a chance to practice.
Going on the Mission
- Identify 5 people from your Network List who you will tell the Amazing Question to this week.
- Write “I will by when” statements and tell them to your small group.
- Set a time and meet with your one-another partner.
Praying for the Mission
Commit everyone’s goals to the Lord. Ask the Lord to help all of us to be faithful and to use us to start a movement of disciple-makers.
For Further Study
Read Transferable Concept #9: How You Can Pray with Confidence. It is also helpful to discuss this with your one-another partner.